Areas of Practice:
Corporate and Commercial Law
Family and Matrimonial Law
Intellectual Property Law
Landlord and Tenant Law
Strata Title Law
MSc (Construction Law & Arbitration) (With Merit), King's College London,
University of London & National University of Singapore
MBA / LL.M, National University of Singapore
LLB (Hons), National University of Singapore
Memberships and Appointments
- Commissioner for Oaths, Singapore
- Notary Public, Singapore
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK)
- Fellow, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators
- Member, Panel of Arbitrators, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Panel of Arbitrators, Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre
- Member, Principal Panel of Mediators, Singapore Mediation
- Accredited Mediator, State Courts of Singapore
- Accredited Mediator, National Mediator Accreditation System
- Accredited Mediator, Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution
- Accredited Mediator, Hong Kong Mediation Accreditation Association Limited (HKMAAL)
- Accredited Mediator, Regent's University London
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Board of Management of Anglo-Chinese School
- Honorary Secretary, Anglo-Chinese School Old Boys'
- Honorary Legal Advisor, Association of Strata Managers
Tat was called to the Singapore Bar in 1989 and admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales in 2004.
Tat is the founding partner of the firm.
He heads the firm's dispute resolution practice, which has received accolades and awards for its civil litigation and mediation practice (Corporate INTL Global Awards, Global Law Experts' Practice Area Awards and Global 100 Awards). He has been named as a "Leading Advisor 100" by DealMakers' Global Leading Advisors 100.
Tat's practice focuses on conflict and dispute resolution. He adopts a multifaceted approach to dispute resolution and utilises varied dispute resolution modes to obtain optimal outcomes for clients.
He has over two decades of extensive experience in litigation, arbitration, adjudication, mediation and collaborative dispute resolution practices, and has appeared as counsel in the State Courts, High Court and Court of Appeal of Singapore and in domestic and international arbitrations. He has represented local and international clients in high value cases involving multiple jurisdictions and spanning across a wide range of industries, including energy, recycling, entertainment, construction, manufacturing and real estate.
Tat has been appointed as an expert in Singapore law for foreign court proceedings, as arbitrator in Singapore International Arbitration Centre proceedings, as mediator in cases administered by Singapore Mediation Centre and the State Courts and as chairperson in inquiry tribunals and member of the disciplinary tribunals convened under the Legal Profession Act. He has also been appointed to serve on public committees undertaking reviews of the litigation processes in the State Courts.
Tat is a Principal Trainer at the Adjunct Training Faculty of Singapore Mediation Centre where he teaches negotiations and mediation. He received advanced negotiations and advanced mediation training at Harvard Law School and Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University School of Law. He is also a contributor to the Singapore Civil Procedure published by Thomas Reuters Sweet & Maxwell.
For his contribution and service to the State Courts, Tat was presented with the State Courts' Outstanding Court Volunteer (Advocate & Solicitor Category) Award in 2013. For his contribution and service to the Singapore Mediation Centre and Law Society of Singapore, he was presented with Singapore Mediation Centre's Appreciation Award and Law Society of Singapore's Plaque of Appreciation in 2013.